Marshall Public Schools Board
Vote for two
Debra Frigo, Incumbent
Mike Rateike, Incumbent
1. What in your professional and community background qualifies you for this elective office? Being a lifelong resident of Marshall and raising two children in the district, I have an understanding of the community and the needs of the children. My professional background includes 26 years in the administrative health care field with more than 15 years in management. My community activities include member of the Medina Cemetery Association founding member of the Marshall community engagement group and VP of the school board. I believe our children are the future and I want to help foster a positive educational environment that will allow all students to achieve their potential.
2. How should your district address disparities in student achievement? We need to provide a robust professional development program for our staff and administrative team because improving educational outcomes requires a highly competent teacher workforce. Educating our community on how Wisconsin currently funds our schools and supporting changes to the education funding plan are essential. We also need to ensure our board policies follow a mindset based on equity for all students.
3. Are there additional steps your district should take to effectively recruit and retain an outstanding and diverse workforce? We need to make sure we have adequate preparation and help for our new teachers. All teachers need support from principals and the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues. We also need to ensure we are competitive with compensation and benefits for all staff.
4. Is there an issue that particularly motivates you to serve on the school board? Our district plans to seek community support for our third operational referendum. Marshall is a small district without a huge tax base. We are up against bigger districts that offer more opportunities for students. We have to compete to keep the students we have. In order to do this, we need additional district funding. The board needs to educate the community on school funding in Wisconsin. Changes in our state will begin with educating the public. Further, all kids need access to quality education. It is our job to ensure all students in Marshall can succeed. They are our future!
Marshall, WI 53559
1. What in your professional and community background qualifies you for this elective office? I have lived in the Marshall school district for 15 years and currently have 4 children attending Marshall Public Schools. I have served one year on the board as the treasurer which has allowed me to gain an understanding of our school finances. I am a CPA that has previously worked for the Legislative Audit Bureau which provided me opportunities to audit grants as well as gain an understanding of how school finance work. Additionally, I am a business owner that has successfully ran a small business for 15 years. Also, I‘m active as a volunteer in local youth sports.
2. How should your district address disparities in student achievement? To adequately address disparities, we need to determine the root cause through observation and communication with the student and their family. After the cause has been determined, staff can brainstorm in small groups or use the guidance of an experienced staff member to provide a plan of action to help the students that are falling behind. Teamwork and collaboration can create opportunities for student achievement.
3. Are there additional steps your district should take to effectively recruit and retain an outstanding and diverse workforce? Recruiting and retaining quality staff is very important to the success of our district. Offering collaboration and a positive culture will assist our district in recruiting and retaining staff. By having a mix of seasoned educators as well as those that are new to the district we can provide a workplace that is comprised of those who can mentor new employees as well as having those that can offer new suggestions. Additionally, continue to provide feedback to staff through performance reviews and also ask for staff to complete surveys to determine their satisfaction and identify needs to support our staff
4. Is there an issue that particularly motivates you to serve on the school board? I would like to see the success of our district from all stakeholders. I want to students to achieve their best results both academically and also in participating in a wide selection of co-curricular activities. I would like the administrators, teachers and paraprofessionals to be fulfilled in watching their staff and students grow and know that they have any support they need to be successful. I would like the community to be proud of our school and what we have to offer while maintaining transparency to our operations.